Motorcycle Rental / Motorbike Hire FAQ
What do rentals include?
A motorcycle! Choose from a new or late model Harley-Davidson, Honda Gold Wing or a Honda or BMW Sport Touring bike. All of our motorcycles are passenger friendly. Every rental includes:
- 24-hour rental period
- Unlimited mileage
- Helmets (although we suggest you bring your own for fitment and comfort)
- Passenger backrest
- Security system and/or additional cable lock
- 24-hour emergency contact phone number
- Secure storage for your luggage or baggage
- Shuttle service available
- See our WORLD FAMOUS $99/DAY SPECIALS
- For all emergency personnel (EMS, Fire, Police), and Active Duty Military.
- Group discounts typically for 3 or more bikes rented at the same time.
- Tour and travel agents, please call for special pricing.
Note – (1) Discounts cannot be combined. (2) Not all discounts available on winter rates.
Can I do a “One Way Rental”?
Yes, but it does incur additional fees that can be expensive. This requires a special quote, so please email or call for information. One-Way rentals are NOT available on our specials/discount bikes.
Can I ship my riding gear?
- Absolutely!!!! We will be happy to receive and store your gear. Please clearly mark the box with your name (we do not want to go rummaging through your underwear!)
- We can also ship your gear home for you.
- No room on your motorcycle for souvenirs, bought too many goodies on the road? Ship them to us. We will hold them until you return.
Is it mandatory to wear a helmet?
Yes, for your own safety, and per California law, and our insurance company, you and your passenger are required to wear a certified helmet at all times when you ride our motorcycle. We can provide you with a loaner helmet, free of charge.
Can I bring and use my own helmet?
Yes, providing it is a certified (DOT, Snell) approved helmet. We always recommend you bring your own helmet for best fitment and comfort. If you rent a motorcycle with intercom or CB and want to use these features, you will need to bring your own helmet equipped with speakers, microphone, and connection cords.
Can I bring and use my own helmet from another country?
Well, we are not helmet experts, we are bikers!!! Many countries have standards that are similar or exceed the U.S. standards. We are not the helmet police, so if you believe that your helmet meets these safety standards, then we have no objection. Ultimately it is your decision.
Do you rent motorcycle clothing?
Yes, we have motorcycle jackets and rain gear available for rent. The sizes we carry are limited, and if you are very small or very large, we may not have your size. Please call in advance to confirm. Sweatshirts, t-shirts, bandannas, sunglasses and light gloves are available to purchase.
Are the motorcycles routinely inspected?
Yes, every motorcycle has a safety and mechanical inspection prior to every rental. We have trained technicians on premises. All motorcycles are maintained to manufacturers’ specifications and our technicians are very well acquainted with all rental bikes. Your safety is our #1 priority.
Can I pickup or the return the motorcycle after hours?
Yes, we can make special arrangements, however there is a nominal charge.
What is the difference between the “Overtime” and “Late” fees?
- Overtime charges will be applied when the scheduled return time goes past the 24 hour rental period. This must be arranged in advance, prior to your scheduled return, and is subject to motorcycle availability.
- Late charges will be applied when you return the motorcycle past your scheduled return time without prior notice and approval. (see term and conditions)
What happens if I am running late past my scheduled pick-up time?
Please notify us as soon as you realize you are going to be late, and we will do our best to accommodate you. Please understand that we may not be able to extend your return time, as the motorcycle might be scheduled for another rental as soon as it returns. You will still be responsible for the full rental fees as per your reservation.
What are the requirements for making a rental?
(See our detailed article on the Motorcycle Rental process)
- You MUST have a valid motorcycle license/endorsement form the state or country where your driver’s license is issued.
- You MUST be over 25 years of age. Special arrangements may be made if renter is over 21. The motorcycles we rent at California Motorcycle Adventures are large, heavyweight, very powerful and not appropriate for beginner or inexperienced riders. We recommend at least two years experience on motorcycles of 1000cc or greater. If you have any questions about this requirement, please call us.
- You must have a major credit card. Visa, MasterCard, or American Express
- You MUST provide FULL COVERAGE insurance that covers Liability, Collision, Theft, and Vandalism. Insurance can be provided through MBA Insurance. If you would like to provide your own insurance, please call for requirements.
- A refundable security deposit, $1000-$3000, is required at time of rental. Deposit is refunded at rental return provided motorcycle is in the same condition as when it was rented.
- For more detailed information about insurance, see the full Insurance Information here: Motorcycle Rental Insurance
- Reservations are highly recommended to insure availability and the preferred motorcycle of your choice. We guarantee the type of motorcycle and make every attempt to provide your preferred choice, but do not guarantee a specific motorcycle’s availability. Example – If you reserved a Harley Davidson Road King, you will get a Road King, however, we cannot guarantee year or color.
(Some of our competitors offer an “Optional Motorcycle Model Guarantee” similar to our guarantee, however they charge a fee of $18 PER Rental DAY for their Motorcycle Model Guarantee.)
- If the motorcycle type you chose becomes unavailable, we will offer you a similar type or upgraded motorcycle at no additional charge.
- If the substituted type is unacceptable, you may cancel with a full refund. This is the limit of our responsibility to you.
What are your Cancellation policies?
Rental Deposit and Cancellation policy:
- A reservation deposit is required to hold a motorcycle. Amount of deposit vary from $50-$500 depending on length of rental.
- Cancellations with over 30 days notice will receive full deposit refund, 14-30 days notice will receive 50% deposit refund. No deposit refund with less than 14 days notice.
- Any retained deposit amount, with cancellation notice over 72 hours, can be applied to a future rental within 1 year.
- “No-Shows”, or less than 72 hours notice will be charged the full amount for the rental period, up to maximum of 5 rental days. Motorcycle will be held for 1 hour past scheduled pick up time.
- $25 cancellation fee will be added to and applied to all cancellations.
What do I do if I have a mechanical breakdown?
We do our very best to insure that breakdowns do not happen. If you have a breakdown or you feel the motorcycle is unsafe to operate, make a phone call to our 24 hour emergency phone, and we will take care of the problem.
Does my personal insurance cover me on a rental motorcycle?
We have no clue!!! It seems to vary widely between the Insurance Companies. We have never yet seen an automobile insurance policy that will cover you on a rental motorcycle. Also we have found that credit cards that will cover an auto rental will NOT cover a motorcycle rental. If you own an insured motorcycle, you MAY be covered on a rental motorcycle. You need to check with your insurance or credit card companies.
Can I use my Own Insurance?
Yes, you can, but most people find it is either too much trouble or too expensive to do. Our basic insurance is only $15/day and your insurance company may charge you to provide the required certificates. (See our detailed article on Motorcycle Rental Insurance)
Do I need additional insurance?
This is entirely up to you. We highly recommend the following options:
- Supplemental Liability insurance is available though our provider when you purchase either our Basic or Deluxe insurance. This increases your coverage to $300,000 per occurrence.
- Roadside Assistance and Tire Puncture – We understand things are going to happen! You will leave the lights on and come back to the bike and find you have a dead battery, or you may run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. With the optional Roadside Assistance, we will take care of these problems for you. It includes emergency fuel delivered to you, jump start, and flat tire replacement or repair (tubeless tires are ALWAYS replaced) due to puncture, includes towing. Also, if there is a mechanical breakdown, or the motorcycle is unsafe operate to due to no fault that you caused, we will also reimburse you up to $75/day to rent another vehicle until your rented motorcycle is either fixed or replaced.
- If you are coming from outside of the U.S., you may want to talk to your travel or insurance agent for additional insurance, such as personal medical, personal property, and trip interruption coverage.
(NOTE – All coverage and waivers are subject to the express terms of the rental contract and do not include coverage for personal property, or damage as the result of negligence on the part of the renter for illegal use of motorcycle or use under the influence of drugs or alcohol. RENTAL RULES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH AT ALL TIMES). (See our detailed article on Motorcycle Rental Insurance)
Do you have a retail showroom offering gear, t-shirts, parts and accessories?
Yes, we have a retail showroom and can provide you with quality gear, parts, accessories and gift items. We are a FULL service facility and are dealers for Drag Specialties, Parts Unlimited, Bikers Choice, Tucker Rocky, Custom Chrome, V-Twin, and many others. Basically, we can get anything you need for your motorcycle. We will be very happy to order parts and accessories, and have them here when you return.